By Alison L. Allan
The “cancer stem phone” speculation postulates that melanoma arises from a subpopulation of tumor-initiating cells or melanoma stem cells (CSCs). whereas the assumption of melanoma stem cells has been round for greater than 100 years, facts from the fields of hematology and melanoma biology has now proven the severe position of stem cells in hematological malignancies and advised that those related mechanisms also are valuable to the initiation, development, and therapy of stable cancers. medical and experimental experiences have proven that CSCs convey many classical homes of standard stem cells, together with a excessive self-renewal capability and the power to generate heterogeneous lineages; the requirement for a selected “niche”/microenvironment to develop; and an elevated ability for self-protection opposed to harsh environments, pollutants, and medication.
Cancer Stem Cells in reliable Tumors represents a close assessment of melanoma stem cells and their function in reliable cancers. constructed from 24 chapters, this quantity will offer readers with a accomplished knowing of this crucial and evolving field.
Topics coated include:
- Introduction of the CSC hypothesis
- Historical views and the contributing classes from leukemia
- Current wisdom in regards to the id and position of CSCs in quite a few different types of reliable melanoma together with breast, mind, colorectal, pancreatic, prostate, cancer, lung, ovarian, hepatocellular, and head and neck melanoma
- Molecular pathways fascinated by using CSC functionality, with a selected specialise in the radical convergence of embryonic and tumorigenic signaling pathways
- In vitro and in vivo assays, version platforms, and imaging modalities for learning CSCs
- The medical significance of CSCs for melanoma administration and therapy, together with very important implications for diagnosis, prediction, and remedy resistance
- Consideration of the talk surrounding the CSC speculation and demanding unanswered questions during this field
This collective paintings was once written by means of a bunch of well-known overseas specialists in melanoma biology, oncology, and/or stem telephone biology. it is going to function a precious source for demonstrated researchers, professors, overall healthiness care execs, and scholars within the clinical and medical group who're investigating stem cells and/or oncology.
Read Online or Download Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors (Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine) PDF
Similar cell biology books
After we started to manage the workshop "Calcium and mobile Metabolism: shipping and rules" the target we had in brain used to be to place jointly the data of two a number of experts on Ca + homeostasis, with quite a few examples of mobile metabolisms 2 2 (such as protein synthesis), regulated by way of Ca + ions.
Root hairs, the tip-growing extensions of root epidermal cells, are a version process for answering many plant telephone and developmental biology study questions. This ebook, written by way of specialists within the box, covers the study as much as 2008 on mobile, genetic, electrophysiological and developmental features of root hair development, in addition to the interplay of root hairs with rhizobia and mycorrhizae within the institution of symbiosis.
The e-book covers the useful value and houses of erythrocytes, their iteration, senescence, and suicidal demise. It extra summarizes wisdom approximately hormones influencing erythrocyte formation together with erythropoietin in addition to issues affecting and concerning erythrocytes resembling anemia, malaria, and sepsis.
Mesenchymal stromal/ stem cells (MSCs) symbolize a heterogeneous phone inhabitants with immunomodulating, tissue repairing, differentiating, migratory and angiogenic talents, making them very important instruments for medical and translational examine. An knowing of the function of MSCs in modulating tumor development offers a glimpse into their position in non-pathological tissue home improvement and strength regenerative tissue remedies.
- Adenomatous Polyps of the Colon: Pathobiological and Clinical Features
- Live Cell Assays: From Research to Regulatory Applications (Biomedical Engineering)
- Proteins: Structure and Function
- Mast Cells and Tumours: from Biology to Clinic
Extra resources for Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors (Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine)
Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors (Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine) by Alison L. Allan